Sunday, April 12, 2009

About my shop


When I was at Central Piedmont body and paint school, our teachers suggested to have our own shop, and stated that working for someone else was not rewarding. They also suggested to purchase an old shop that could be grandfathered in, for the city would have laws and restrictions that could hurt a shop. So I found a old shop,that started in the 30s. It was a 1 bay shop with a tool bay, for storing tools or parts. It took me many years to haul off all the old parts and old tools and equipment that would no longer do. I continued to work for dealerships and other independent shops, and continued to buy tools and equipment. I would work in my shop at home at night and weekends to supplement my pay, because working for other shops does not pay enough to feed a family, and many shops have no benefits. I was working doing frame work every where I went and dreamed many nights of what I would design of a frame machine and how I would lay my shop out. In 1987 or so I was working with my brother-in law and he said he had a friend that needed his drag car painted and he had a welding fab shop and had much I beam, cause I had said I wanted to make a frame machine.I had worked on Car-o-liner, Chief , and Black Hawk frame machines, and thought of a way to combine the best ideas of them all in one. While I stripped and painted this fellows 69 comet and painted it candy apple red, he welded I beam in a octagon shape,and welder it together very good , and the idea was to Bury it in concrete and have a pit in the middle so I no longer had to crawl under the frame machine to measure frame, and disassemble parts , on a creeper. It took a few years but I got it done, and it took a lot of trial and error. My rocker less clamp system came later ,with some friends I went to church with. I gave him my dimensions, and they worked in a company that had punch presses, and shears , and big welding equipment. They fabricated my rocker-less clamp system I have today. I do a korek style of pulling and is one of the strongest pulling styles that exist. I've got all the clamps I needed , and have a Moe tram gauge , with a set of hanging gauges for full frame. The I beam frame machine is buried in 6 inches of 55 thousand PSI concrete, with a pit in the middle, and pot wholes pored in the floor around the outside, with my vise stand pored into the floor also. I have 1 air over hydraulic ram, 1 hand pump ram , 5 chain binders , 1 quick post , 2 low profile 20 ton bottle jacks , and much for attachments for pulling. Next I talk about my paint booth , lift bay , front end alignment rack , and additional frame pulling table.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weaver's Complete Auto Repair and Body Shop is licensed. We do "go by the book". Thanks for your comment. We are in North carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When repairing a vehicle, you must get a signed work order. Don't sign- no work. Protect yourself and get a signed work agreement first.

    (Tip of the day)
    Love your car enough to keep it's maintenance up. Service it when needed. Oil change, transmission oil change, tune up, plugs, wires, brakes, tires, wheel bearings, differential oil, and so on. - AS Needed Know the difference between Servere Service and Normal Service.

    http://weaverscompleteautorepairandbodyshop.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the content on this site. Would like to visit again.

    Auto Repair Shop Calgary

    ReplyDelete